Prayers to learn in preparation for the Sacrament
Confirmation – Family Time
- Make the weeks and months ahead special – special family time looking forward to Confirmation. This will make the ceremony itself more special!
Here are some ideas for parents and daughters/sons to do together;
Chat about your each of your names, the name that you are called (parents share too);
- Why was that name chosen?
- What’s happened your name since? e.g. changed, shortened, nicknames.
- Do you like your name? Some do, some don’t
- Think of people close to you – who matter most to you – hear them saying your name – hear how it sounds from each of them
- Think of God – Jesus calls people by name – hear him saying your name – in his voice, you hear his care for you, he calls you by name
Chat about the changes in the young person’s life since birth, moments and milestones, e.g.
- Birth itself… Baptism day
- Learning to (crawl and) walk… Learning to talk
- First school day
- First Communion
- How you’ve changed since then – the person you are becoming
A prayer – that you become the person you want to be – e.g. that you follow Jesus’ teaching, ‘always treat others the way you would like others to treat you’
Chat about what’s happening now in your life as a young person. Confirmation is another milestone, at a time of really big change in life – from ‘child’ to teenager, a new world ahead.
Chat about how you are feeling – son’s/daughter’s feelings… parent feelings – a mix of feelings – excitement – the unknown…
A prayer – May God’s Spirit strengthen me and give me confidence for the path ahead.
Chat about people who ‘inspire’ you, people you admire most, whether people who are near or people you’ve never met. (parents share too about this)
Chat about the Confirmation name to choose. Could it be a person who inspires you in some way?
Chat about the gifts of the Spirit that we learn about in school. Look at the list; Which gift would you like most? Which would help you most? (parents share too about this)
Add in moments of prayer in the weeks and months ahead;
- On your own, be quiet, still and know that God is there, God’s Spirit is within you
- Drop in to the church – a special place to be still and know that God is there, to feel God’s presence – visit alone/together – light a candle and say a prayer to Jesus
- Now and then, say a prayer together at home – maybe a ‘thank you’ prayer
- Quiet – think of your parent – think of your daughter/son – in your heart thank God for them…
- Say a prayer for them – ask God to bless them – ask God to protect them
- Pray that God’s Spirit will make each of us strong – and help each of us to be a wonderful person and to follow Jesus’ teaching in how we live